PEScience (Physique Enhancing Science) is a Florida-based supplement company that was established in 2013.1 As an up and coming name in health and wellness industry, PEScience’s business model places an emphasis on quality ingredients, innovative formulas, and quality control before marketing. This differentiates them from many other supplement producers.2
PEScience offers a range of PES supplements and accessories designed to support athletes and people who work out and want to build muscle. The suite of Select Protein powders and the newer Protein4Oats are the company’s core products.
PEScience uses Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) to research, produce, test, and package its products. Raw ingredients are tested for purity and microbial identity to make sure they are free from heavy metals and pesticides. The final products are re-tested for those aspects as well as adherence to label claims.2
There are three lines of Select Protein: Original, Café Series, and Vegan Series. All are gluten-free, powered protein supplements. They’re designed to support efficient muscle development, repair, and maintenance. The relatively simple but effective formula is one way that Select Protein stands out from competitors.
Select Protein is the most popular product line. It uses a unique blend of whey protein, casein, and whey protein concentrate (WPC) to pack 24g of protein into each serving.14
The Café Series offers the boost of 100g of natural caffeine (equal to the average cup of coffee) along with 20g of protein per serving.15
The Vegan Series is free of soy as well as animal products, and delivers 20g of protein per serving from pea and rice sources.16
A Select Protein review wouldn’t be complete without noting the wide variety of flavors available.
The original blend comes in 7 flavors: Cookies ’N Cream, Frosted Chocolate Cupcake, Gourmet Vanilla, Peanut Butter Cookie, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup, Snickerdoodle, and White Chocolate Mint.14 The Café Series comes in Caramel Macchiato, Iced Mocha, and Vanilla Frappe.15 For the Vegan Series, customers can choose from Chocolate Bliss, Peanut Butter Delight, Vanilla Indulgence, and Wild Berry.16
This broad range of flavors is one way that PEScience Select Protein stands out among powdered protein supplements. Each is low in fat, sodium, and carbohydrates.
PEScience Protein Ingredients
While there are a variety of flavors to choose from, below we break down the ingredients included in the snickerdoodle protein powder formula, one of PEScience’s most popular flavors. As this Select Protein formula features a proprietary blend, individual ingredient doses are unknown.
Ultra Premium Protein Blend (milk protein isolate [comprised of casein protein and whey protein]) – Milk protein isolate is a dry product with 90% or more protein by weight when compared to liquid skim milk. It typically contains less than 3% fat and has no lactose.3
Casein protein is a protein frequently used in protein powder formulas and is known for its slow digestion and bioactive peptides. Specifically, peptides that can improve nutrient uptake during digestion and immune defence.4
Whey Protein Concentrate 80% – Research on whey protein indicates that regular supplementation may improve lipid and glucose metabolism and promote muscle protein synthesis.5 There is also some scientific evidence that whey protein can help preserve and maintain skeletal muscle mass.6
Leucine Peptides – Leucine is one of three branched chain amino acid (BCAAs) that is essential for humans. Leucine peptides may help activate mechanistic target of rapamycin (mTOR). In the simplest terms, mTOR is a regulator of growth and using amino acids to build proteins.7 One clinical study shows that leucine can stimulate the synthesis of muscle protein.8
Select Protein products may also contain additional ingredients, which may vary according to the flavor profile.
PES Select Directions
According to the product’s label, mix one scoop of Select Protein with 6-8 oz. of cold water. For a richer taste or to boost your protein intake, you can mix the powder with non-fat or low-fat milk.
The label indicates that the product shouldn’t be consumed by pregnant or nursing women. You should also stop using Select Protein for two weeks prior to surgery and never exceed the recommended serving.
PES Select Protein Side Effects
Scientific research noting serious or adverse side effects of from using protein powder is scarce. However, individual ingredients in PES Select Protein may cause minor side effects.
Supplementing with whey protein may cause gastrointestinal discomfort in some users.10 Increased thirst has also been anecdotally reported by some users. When taken with certain antibiotics, whey protein may decrease their absorption.10
Anecdotally, some people voice concern that extensive use of protein powders can cause liver or kidney damage. But there is no clinical data to support this belief.
Users with diabetes should consult a health care provider before starting protein supplements, as they may have an effect on blood glucose and insulin levels.5 Anyone with an allergy or sensitivity to milk would be wise to use Select Protein Vegan Series, which is dairy-free.
Select Protein Powder Results
Based on the latest scientific studies, we take a look at the projected results for Select Protein powder and how these individual ingredients may help you reach your fitness goals.
A 2004 human study evaluated the anabolic effects of both casein and whey protein after resistance exercise. Researchers noted that when subjects took either 20 g of casein or whey powder, similar increase in muscle protein synthesis and muscle protein net balance were noted. Improved muscle protein balance combined with a healthy diet and exercise routine may help promote increases in muscle mass.11
In a 2015 animal study, supplementing with whey and casein protein was shown to improve energy balance and decrease daily food intake by 23-33%.8 Diets higher in protein and BCAAs (particularly leucine) have been associated with increased weight loss, muscle protein synthesis and lower body fat percentages. Additionally, whey protein has been associated with lower insulin and levels.5 Triglycerides are a type of fat found in the blood and in high levels, may be an indicator of increased risk of cardiovascular disease or diabetes.
Most of the PES Select Protein reviews online are overwhelmingly positive. Comments note that Select Protein helps moderate hunger throughout the day and improves recovery time after intense workouts. Users range from novice athletes to bodybuilders.
Where to Buy Physique Enhancing Science Products
You can only buy Select Protein online from the manufacturer or a wide range of retailers.
Each flavor of Select Protein comes in tubs with 27 or 55 servings. You can also get some flavors in 7-serving tubs or ½ serving packets, ideal for athletes on the go.
Select Protein Café Series comes in 20-serving or ½ serving sizes.
Select Protein Vegan Series is available in 27-serving, 7-serving, and ½-serving sizes.
On the PEScience website, a 27-serving tub of regular Select Protein costs about $43 or $1.60 per serving. The 55-serving option is the most economical at $71, or $1.30 per serving.
Scientific Research Referenced in this Article
- “Detail by Entity Name – PESCIENCE LLC.” Division of Corporations: An Official State of Florida Website, Retrieved October 30, 2017, – View Reference
- (2015). Difference. Retrieved October 30, 2017 from https://pescience.com/difference/
- American Dairy Products Institute. (2014). Milk Protein Isolate. Retrieved October 30, 2017, – View Reference
- Pihlanto-Leppala, A. (2000). Bioactive peptides derived from bovine whey proteins: opioid and ace-inhibitory peptides. Trends in Food Science & Technology. 11(9-10). 347-356. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-2244(01)00003-6
- Graf, S., Egert, S., Heer, M. (2011). Effects of whey protein supplements on metabolism: evidence from human intervention studies. (Abstract). Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care 14(6). 569–580 doi: 10.1097/MCO.0b013e32834b89da – View Reference
- Hayes, A., Cribb, P.J. (2008). Effect of whey protein isolate on strength, body composition and muscle hypertrophy during resistance training. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care 11(1). 40–44. doi: 10.1097/MCO.0b013e3282f2a57d – View Reference
- Kennedy, B. K., & Lamming, D. W. (2016). The mechanistic Target of Rapamycin: The grand conducTOR of metabolism and aging. Cell Metabolism, 23(6), 990–1003. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmet.2016.05.009
- Etzel, M.R. (2004). Manufacture and Use of Dairy Protein Fractions. The Journal of Nutrition. 134(4). 996-1002. http://jn.nutrition.org/content/134/4/996S.long
- Pezeshki, A., Fahim, A., & Chelikani, P. K. (2015). Dietary Whey and Casein Differentially Affect Energy Balance, Gut Hormones, Glucose Metabolism, and Taste Preference in Diet-Induced Obese Rats. Journal of Nutrition, 145(10), 2236-2244. doi:3945/jn.115.213843
- Mayo Clinic. (2017, October 19). Whey protein- safety and side effects. Retrieved October 30, 2017 from – View Reference
- TIPTON, K. D., ELLIOTT, T. A., CREE, M. G., WOLF, S. E., SANFORD, A. P., & WOLFE, R. R. (2004). Ingestion of Casein and Whey Proteins Result in Muscle Anabolism after Resistance Exercise. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 2073-2081. doi:1249/01.mss.0000147582.99810.c5
- University of Michigan: Michigan Medicine. (2015, May 7). Casein protein for sports & fitness. Retrieved October 30, 2017 from http://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/hn-10008599#hn-10008599-dosage-side-effects
- Mayo Clinic. (2015, August 15). Triglycerides: Why do they matter? Retrieved October 30, 2017 from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/triglycerides/art-20048186?pg=2
- PEScience. (2015). Select protein. Retrieved October 30, 2017 from – View Reference
- PEScience. (2015). Select protein: Café series. Retrieved October 30, 2017 from – View Reference
- PEScience. (2015). Select protein: Vegan series. Retrieved October 30, 2017 from – View Reference