Garcinia SlimPlus Review – Does It Work? Ingredients, Side Effects & More
Garcinia SlimPlus is marketed as a weight loss supplement.4 The product uses a natural formula including Garcinia extract (otherwise known as Garcinia cambogia), which is thought to be a slimming agent, as well as Chromium, which is thought to reduce body weight through the reduction of body fat.
Available in capsule form, this product is recommended for use as a dietary supplement for enhanced weight loss. The distributors of the product claim that Garcinia SlimPlus (or “Garcinia Cambogia”) may support healthy weight loss when used in a lifestyle with regular exercise and healthy diet.4
In this honest and unsponsored Garcinia SlimPlus review, we explain what Garcinia SlimPlus is and what results it has produced, informed by investigations performed in scientific studies.
Garcinia SlimPlus Ingredients
Unlike many supplements on the market, Garcinia SlimPlus has relatively few ingredients in its formula—eight, to be exact. The concise list of ingredients in Garcinia SlimPlus includes Chromium, Garcinia extract, Magnesium Stearate, Hydroxypropyl, Methylcellulose, Microcrystalline Cellulose, and Water. The two active ingredients are Chromium and Garcinia extract.
Chromium: (200 mcg) – a mineral and essential nutrient that the body requires for normal metabolic functions, including the chemical breakdown of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.3 It is often included in supplements intended for weight loss or body fat reduction. It increases insulin activity, in turn lowering blood glucose levels, and is believed to act as an appetite suppressant.3 In addition, Chromium is said to stimulate the production of body heat, which increases energy expenditure—this activity may contribute directly to the mineral’s weight loss effect.3
While not comprehensive, one study found that participants who took doses of chromium picolinate lost 1 kilogram more body weight during the study than participants who had been taking a placebo.3
Garcinia extract: (1000 mg) – is derived from a plant native to South Asia. The fruit of the Garcinia Cambogia plant looks like a pumpkin and has a light green rind. It is commonly used as a flavoring agent.2 The ingredient used in supplements comes from the rind of the Garcinia Cambogia fruit; this extract is called hydroxycitric acid or HCA. Research suggests that HCA causes weight loss by inhibiting certain enzyme activity (adenosine triphosphatase-citrate-lyase).1 This particular enzyme is responsible for the conversion of carbohydrates into stored body fat. One study also concluded that HCA increases serotonin in the brain, resulting in appetite suppression.1
Research examining the various studies conducted on Garcinia extract concluded that the extract does produce short-term weight loss.1
How to Use Garcinia SlimPlus
The Garcinia SlimPlus supplement suggests taking two capsules per day with a glass of water. In this two-capsule daily serving, there is 200 mcg of Chromium, and 1000 mg of Garcinia extract.
Garcinia SlimPlus Side Effects
Garcinia extract is thought to be safe for human consumption, as 17 clinical studies involving 873 participants provided evidence that consumption of HCA alone did not produce any adverse side effects.2 The researchers point out that in humans, a daily serving of up to 2800 mg per day has been determined to be a safe dosage with no adverse effects.2 As a guideline, the product label recommends that children, pregnant women, and nursing mothers consult a physician before taking the Garcinia SlimPlus supplement.4
Anecdotal evidence of garcinia extract side effects include headaches, nausea, and digestive discomfort—these are not the side effects of Garcinia SlimPlus blend specifically, but rather pertain to Garcinia extract in general. One study about Garcinia points out that the side effects may be less pronounced than those caused by pharmaceutical drugs for weight loss, such as Sibutramine, Rimonabant, Orlistat, and Phentermine.2
Does Garcinia SlimPlus Work?
Scientific evidence does support both the metabolism-boosting and appetite suppressant effect that may make products with Garcinia extract effective weight loss aids.1,2 In fact, one study using the same dosage of 1000mg of Garcinia extract per day found that both visceral fat and subcutaneous fat areas significantly decreased in relation to the placebo group, making Garcinia SlimPlus results possible.5
Garcinia SlimPlus Reviews
Anecdotal evidence from people taking Garcinia products report weight loss varying between 1 to 4 pounds a week, with many studies reporting similar results.6
Where to Buy Garcinia SlimPlus
You can only buy Garcinia SlimPlus online. For the price of shipping and handling, customers receive a 30-day supply of the supplement to try before deciding whether or not to continue taking the supplement.
Scientific Research Referenced in this Article
- Onakpoya I., Hung SK., Perry R., Wider B., and Ernst E. (2011). The use of garcinia extract (hydroxycitric acid) as a weight loss supplement: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. Journal of Obesity. DOI: 10.1155/2011/509038
- Oon C. L., Yong H. W., Boon Kee B. and Swee Keong Y. (2013). Updates on Antiobesity Effect of Garcinia Origin (-)-HCA. Evidence-based Complementary & Alternative Medicine (eCAM). 751658–751658. DOI: 10.1155/2013/751658
- Tian H., Guo X., Wang X., He Z., Sun R., Ge S., Zhang Z. (2013). Chromium picolinate supplementation for overweight or obese adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 11:CD010063. DOI: 10.1002/14651858
- Garcinia SlimPlus. (n.d.). Garcinia SlimPlus. Retrieved October 5, 2017 from – View Reference
- Hayamizy, K., Ishii, Y., Kaneko, I., et al. (2001). Effects of Long-Term Administration of Garcinia Cambogia Extract on Visceral Fat Accumulation in Humans: A Placebo-Controlled Double Blind Trial. Journal of Oleo Science 10(50): 805-812. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5650/jos.50.805
- Preuss, H.G., Rao, C.V., Garis, R., et al. (2004). An Overview of the Safety and Efficacy Of a Novel, Natural (-)-hydroxycitirc Acid Extract (HCA-SX) for Weight Management. Journal of Medicine. 35(1-6): 33-48. Retrieved from http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/18084863